Committee Minutes Sept-Dec 2018 – Archive

September

Minutes of the meeting held on 12 September 2018 at 12 noon at BGU

1 Present: Avril Golding, Allan Crease, Zoe Tomlinson, Brian Porter, Anne Atkinson, Nikki Goldblatt, Charles Simpson, Jason Ware, Stewart Kerrison, Mick Jones

2 Apologies:  Lynne McEwan, Jill Wadsley

3 Minutes of 23 May 2018– these were accepted as a true record and there were no matters arising

4 Finances

  1. The LAG main account has £897 and the Project account has £855
  2. It was agreed: the annual fee will be raised to £10 pa in September 2019. A reminder to this effect will be issued with the 2018 renewal of subscriptions Action: NG
  3. The unpaid invoice regarding the use of The Collection from LCC has been met by BGU on the advice of Andrew Jackson. LAG expressed its gratitude to Andrew’s intervention.

5 NAG Gift of Equipment

The committee expressed its thanks to the members and their partners involved in shifting the equipment, erecting the shed and storing the equipment therein. Keys to the shed are held by BP, AC, AG, Jill W, and a further one is stored in the key cabinet at BGU.

SK will check to see if his plastic table will improve storage in the shed and he is also investigating the repair of some faulty equipment

Action: SK/Jill W

 

6 Data Protection Law

It was agreed to adopt the policy circulated as a draft after the 23 May meeting.

Copies of the updated LAG membership form will be circulated to members.

Action: ZT

 

7 Remains of the Lincoln Roman Public Baths

MJ reported on the current position regarding the finds and documentation of an excavation at Cottesford Place in 1957 led by the museum curator Dennis Petch. A report has never been published and work needs to be done on the finds which are now mostly back in Lincoln. A finds archive of the excavation is in the museum. ZT offered to look at the wall plaster. However MJ estimated the cost of required work would probably exceed £25,000. Nevertheless they may be the opportunity for LAG to volunteer for some finds processing.

8 Finds Update

ZT reported that the report on the 2005 Sudbrooke Roman Tile is nearly complete and recorded her thanks for the classification database. The pottery for 2005 is being categorised currently and the large wall plaster sections are next to be investigated.

ZT mentioned that the large quantity of finds from the summer dig at Wigford will need washing and marking.

9 Harpswell Project

  1. a) During the summer it became apparent that the dig needed to be deferred until Spring 2019 to allow time for field walking, mapping and fund raising. Furthermore ZT/CS will have completed the reports for the BGU Field Schools on this site and that will assist the research for the proposed Spring excavation. in the meantime AA along with support from Jo Gray, Mark Tattem and SK has organised a drone photography survey of the site, the results of which are with Jo’s husband, Derek Cater, for analysis.

Finds from the pipeline excavation at Harpswell are now with BGU although they are the possession of Pre-Construct who carried out the work.

  1. b) LAG needs to raise another £1000 to cover the estimated cost of professional fees for the dig and post excavation reports. The possible sources of further income include

Fees from dig participants: £300

2018 Subscriptions           : £200

Profit from Pottery Day     : £400

  1. c) Jobs for the next meeting

Fix a date for the dig                                                           Action: Committee

Ideas for the timing of the dig days                                    Action: Committee

Contact Duncan Wright about geophys on site                  Action: BP

Obtain information from drone exercise                             Action: AA

Details of Pottery Day to be fixed                                        Action: ZT

Ideas for fund-raising from lecture and Ermine Street tour Action: Committee

10 New Student Representatives on LAG Committee

Kelly Cortlett-Slater and Sam Marple will be the new student representatives.

11 Bricks and BonesHeritage Food Festival

Banks Newton will be organising this event on 27 October in St Peters at Gowts Church Hall. LAG volunteers will be welcome.

Dates of next meetings to take place in the Archaeology Lab at BGU

                   12 noon Wednesday 10 October

                   12 noon Wednesday 7 November—the AGM

 

October

Minutes of the meeting held on 10 October 2018 at 12 noon at BGU

Apologies: Allan Crease ,Lynne McEwan, Anne Atkinson

Present: Jane Young,Nikki Goldblatt, Cola Jennings,Zoe Tomlinson,Stewart Kerrison,Jill Wadsley,Jason Ware, Avril Golding,Brian Porter, Sam Marple

Observer Nigel Hooper.

Minutes of last meeting agreed with following amendments. Amendment 1.the Harpswell finds belong to the Tatums not as stated. Amendment 2. Nikki To send out new membership forms not Zoe.

Action point: S Kerrison is yet to liaise with Jill about how useful a table would be in the shed.

  1. Food Feast: has been postponed until Spring.Cola asked for volunteers to prepare cook Roman food. In the meantime the LAG volunteers will get out the cooking equipment to check it. John Hudson produces replica pots which can be used for food. The cooking range was built by Keith Andretti. He is no longer at BG but can possibly be contacted.
  2. Treasurer: Current LAG balance £66. Project £855.00 James to supply regular updates to Nikki about who has paid membership. All Harpswell donations to be paid via bank account.
  3. Harpswell Project. Brian to liaise with Duncan to organise geophysics for February 2019 Duncan has agreed to process data.Derek has data from drone maps and is resolving.

Pottery workshops. 4/05/2019. To include talk, handling,pot making,conservation and recording.Max 20 people, £10 deposit,total cost £60 to include a course pack and lunch. If over subscribed a further workshop will be arranged.

Dates  for Harpswell Dig 2019: 14 days in total. 8/4/2019 to 12/4/2019 Open trench and dig . LAG members. 15/4/2019 to 18/4/2019 Family days and LAG digging days. 13/05/2019 to 17/05/2019 digging days and closure LAG. 1 Saturday to be determined.

Zoe to contact Pam Tatum and arrange a suitable open day.

Fund Raising. Jane Young to contact Network Archaeology about a lecture.Possible venue BG if free with a £5 donation suggested to attendees. Start 6pm duration 1 hr. Tour of the Ermine St dig area for LAG members £5 donation. History of Harpswell lecture. Raffle.

Budget: Charles and James to liaise about budget and items needed and accounted for including post ex reports.

  1. Graffiti: Agreed to do graffiti Wed afternoons on alternative weeks. Volunteers to meet at BG.First graffiti outing 17th November.
  2. Flotation: Charles to give explanation immediately after meeting then the volunteers can work through the soil samples during next and following LAG meeting. The sessions on 21/11/2018 and 1/12/2018 will be full day LAG meetings to enable the samples to be processed quickly. Nikki and student rep will notify members of the activity and dates.
  3. Co-opted member. Nigel Hooper was invited to join the committee and agreed.

Meeting closed.

November

Minutes of the meeting held on 7 November 2018 at 12:30pm at BGU.

1 Present: Avril Golding, Allan Crease, Zoe Tomlinson, Brian Porter, Anne Atkinson, Nikki Goldblatt, Jason Ware, Lynne McEwan, Jill Wadsley, Marilyn Taylor, Nigel Hooper.

2 Apologies: Charles Simpson, Stewart Kerrison, Mick Jones, Duncan Wright, Bob Garlant, Kelly Cortlett-Slater, Sam Marple.

3 Minutes of 10 October 2018 – these were accepted as a true record and the only matter arising confirmed that the equipment for Roman food preparation is functional, except for cooking pots.

4 Finances: The LAG main account has £1007.66 and the Project account has £855.

5  Harpswell Dig

  1. The talk on the Eastern Growth corridor will need to be scheduled for January or February. Action: ZT
  2. Geophysics agree in principle with DW. Date to be planned for the New Year. Action: BP/DW
  3. The budget for the project plan needs to be reviewed to ensure there are adequate costs allocated to cover both digging and report writing days.                                                                            Action: CS/BP/JW
  4. Pottery workshop progressing. Action: ZT/JY

 

 

6 Fundraising

It was agreed to hold a discussion on fundraising for the future at a LAG Committee meeting in January.     Action: Agenda/Committee/Members

 

7 LAG Talk

It was requested to have a talk by Craig Spence or Duncan Wright on how dig reports are produced, stored and made accessible.   Action: BP

 

8 Date of Next Meeting

12 noon on Wednesday 19 December 2018 at BGU

 

December

Minutes of the meeting held on 19 December 2018 at 12:00pm at BGU

1 Present: Avril Golding, Allan Crease, Zoe Tomlinson, Brian Porter, Anne Atkinson, Nikki Goldblutt, Jason Ware, Lynne McEwan, Jill Wadsley, Nigel Hooper, Charles Simpson, Stewart Kerrison, Sam Marples

2 Apologies: Mick Jones, Marilyn Taylor, Kelly Cortlett-Slater

3 Minutes of 7 November 2018– these were accepted as a true record.

4 Finances: The LAG main account has £1062.66 and the Project account has £855

5  Harpswell Dig/Fundraising

  1. ZT is still pursuing the talk on the Eastern Growth Corridor or an alternative which will be scheduled for January or February Action: ZT
  2. There are problems with the geophysics equipment which Duncan Wright is trying to resolve and he will inform us when it can be used.
  3. The budget for the the project plan has been revised, the consequences are that we have £1755 available at the moment. If we use CS and ZT for 10 days there would be a shortfall of £2020. Possible sources of funding are: £1000 from two pottery workshops and participant fees, plus £250 from talk (50 x £5). Also, donations from LAG members and Hemswell community and other fundraising ventures such as a raffle Action: ZT to write an appeal for donations and AG to organise raffles                                   

     4. Dates for the dig need revising Action: Next meeting agenda

6 Pot Squad

It was Agreed that LAG would form a self managing sub group to specialise in pottery identification, beginning with post medieval pot. Action: ZT to issue invite for members to join the sub group

 7 Graffiti in Spring 2019

Further work is needed at Tattershall and St Dennis, Sleaford. The LAG website will include how to join the recording process and BP will give an update on recording at the next LAG meeting. Action: LMcE for website and BP on recording

 8 Sacred Landscapes Project

Professor David Stocker has indicated he would keep LAG informed of any volunteering opportunities, such as field walking, associated with this project based on the Witham Valley

9 Heritage Food Festival

Members to note and to be encouraged to be involved, an e-mail has been sent out.

10 LAG post

DW to be asked to drop any LAG mail arriving at BGU into a box provided for that purpose in the lab.

11 LAG Website

LAG minutes are now on the site. A discussion about corporate membership will be on the next LAG agenda      Action: Next  meeting Agenda

Dates of next committee meetings

January 16th at noon

February 13th at noon

LAG LAB sessions begin on 16th January at 2pm